Student opinion: The do’s and don’ts of the student section

Mckenna Jones

Students Zach Krajicek, Jude Elgert, and Laycee Josoff cheer at a home basketball game. Older and more experienced students will often sit in the front rows of the student section.

At almost any sporting event, the fanbase is what makes up a large portion of the experience by creating an unrivaled atmosphere that in some cases might even change the outcome of the game. After all, no team would really be a team without their fans, no matter what level they are playing on. At high school sporting events, the student section is without a doubt the loudest and most energetic part of the crowd just like it is supposed to. However, there are a couple of things the Yutan student section needs for it to be most effective. First, everyone in the section has to participate, and there is little argument for that. Next, the first few rows are reserved for those that are the loudest, and students who violate this rule can’t get mad when they are politely asked to leave. Finally, we need to cheer as a large group that is coordinated and at its full potential.

Participation is obviously required to be an effective student section. If a student joins the stands, then they need to be willing and able to cheer along with the rest of the section and be loud. Being loud as a group is clearly the number one component for the whole thing. The entire building has to hear you, or there is no point. Students have to be basically interfering with the game but with their voices. If you are a student and you go to a game where your team is playing, then there isn’t a lot of reason not to sit with the other students because in this case more is always better. Who doesn’t want to support their school in a sport? At Yutan specifically, there have been multiple times where the section was clearly suppressed at that game because the students in the front rows wouldn’t do anything and then proceeded to get mad at the people telling them to do something. Knowing when you are wrong and doing whatever it takes to make the section better is something that everyone who participates needs to know. 

Next, there is a sort of pecking order when it comes to where certain students are and who gets to sit where. The younger students sit in the back along with those that might not wish to join in the chants. The front couple of rows are to be occupied by the older and more experienced students because they are qualified leaders when it comes to cheering at games. It is a common misconception that if you arrive at the game first then you get to stay in the front row. If this excuse is heard or spotted, the student will be kindly asked to move somewhere else, or it is a possibility that physical force will be used. If you get to the first row before everyone else and just sit there on your phone, then it is not acceptable behavior to complain and get mad at those students that may be asking you to leave.

Students cheer on the boys basketball team during the 1st round sub districts. Almost all games have a student section with multiple cheers the whole game as well as a theme.

Then of course you have what actually makes the student section a good one, which is coordinated cheers and chants combined with the other unwritten rules of the student section such as student placement and acceptable behavior. Having one or a couple of people deciding when to have group cheers and chants can make all the difference in creating an exciting and impressive atmosphere that will shake the opposing team’s student section to its core. Deciding which people get to lead the section usually comes naturally when the younger students look to the older ones in hopes that they will help them. Knowing when to cheer and scream is a good thing if you are looking to create an optimal atmosphere for your own team as well as to throw off the other team. 

Overall, having a student section that is loud and proud is great for a sporting event. It doesn’t always matter if you are the loudest, but what does matter is that you have the energy and spirit. If everyone has that, then there is no doubt that your section will prevail and give your team the encouragement it needs while beating the other team’s student section with your passion for whatever game it may be. One thing to always remember is that as a fan, you have the power to create a positive atmosphere that won’t be soon forgotten by the players and yourself.