Vogt aims to make math interactive

Math teacher Adam Vogt helps freshman Kylie Woster with her Geometry assignment. Besides Geometry, Vogt teaches Math 7, Applied Math and JH Health. (Emmy Tederman)

Math is everywhere. We use it for money, time and everyday activities. However, it’s not something all students enjoy learning about, which is why Yutan’s new math teacher Adam Vogt tries to make math fun.

“I know that a lot of kids… it’s maybe not their favorite subject, so I try to make it as interactive as possible,” Vogt said.

Vogt realized in high school that he enjoyed math and wanted to work with students. 

“I just chose math because it’s something I enjoyed doing when I was in high school. I  knew I was pretty good at it and I knew I could help kids understand it,” Vogt said. 

This led him to pursue an education degree at Concordia University. He started teaching at Scottsbluff for one semester and then spent two years at Nebraska City Lourdes and six years at Louisville before coming to Yutan, where his experience has been positive to start.

“So far, the kids are great and a lot of fun to work with,” Vogt said, “and I’ve just enjoyed the small town atmosphere.”

The students have also enjoyed the interactions they are able to have in his classroom.

“I like working with people and being able to do homework with people in the class,” said sophomore Mackenzie Govier, who is in Vogt’s Geometry class.

“It’s pretty easy to understand and makes it fun to learn,” said freshman Braydon Dunn, who is also taking Geometry.

Assistant coach Adam Vogt gives the junior high football team a pep talk during a time out. Vogt coaches JH football and high school golf. (Ginger Eikmeier)

Besides his math classes, Vogt added a new subject of JH Health, which is very different from teaching math.

“I’ve noticed as the first time I’ve taught health it’s just a lot different… it’s less process oriented, and in health it’s teaching kids to kind of answer open-ended questions and kind of think critically about stuff,” Vogt said.

Outside the classroom, Vogt is involved with coaching junior high football, high school boys basketball and golf.

Vogt’s favorite parts of coaching are  “working with kids, seeing them improve and just that competitive aspect.” 

While he hasn’t been here long, Vogt is hoping to make an impact on the students of Yutan.

“I just want them to enjoy coming here to school and making sure that coming to math class can be fun,” Vogt said.