Making a comeback

Campbell prepares for upcoming season post-injury
Campbell works to take down her Conestoga opponent. She currently has a record of 5-1. (Anna Rupp)

As wrestling season begins and the athletes set goals for the season ahead, they look back on their previous season. This is especially true for sophomore Jordyn Campbell, who ended last season with a very unexpected turn of events.

“The second match at state, the girl threw me and I landed wrong and I tore my labrum,” said Campbell.

Despite this, Campbell still placed 5th at state. But the injury required surgery in April and a lengthy recovery process. 

“It took about four months to be fully healed,” said Campbell. “The first month I was completely immobile, and then the second month I could start rehabbing it.”

The injury was not only a physical challenge for Campbell but also a mental obstacle. 

“Physically, it hurts, but I think for me personally it was more mentally hard not being able to do the things that I love,” said Campbell. 

Campbell was unable to participate in track season or any other sports for those four months. 

In her fifth place match at state last year, Jordyn Campbell celebrates after winning with a pin. Campbell set the school record of most pins in a season with 47. (Courtesy Photo)

“It was really hard to watch everyone else be able to participate, and I just sat out,” said Campbell.

However, this mental battle has helped Campbell set new goals for this wrestling season.

“I want to become more mentally tough,” said Campbell. “I know that my body will allow me to [accomplish things] if my mind lets me.”

This ambitious mentality has also rubbed off on Campbell’s teammates.

“She is a great inspiration, making me want to do things that she can,” said fellow sophomore Nicole Wacker. “She always does 100 percent at practice.”

Campbell hopes that this new mindset will help her to reach her goals this season.

“I would like to place higher than I did last year at state and have a better record,” said Campbell.

With her effort and determination, Campbell hopes to have an excellent comeback season.

“I’m really excited to be back and I’m looking forward to bettering myself this year!” said Campbell.