Spanish proctor’s educational journey leads her to Yutan

New Spanish proctor Megan Widmer helps freshman Carson Hollst with Spanish 1. Widmer proctors for four classes and spends the rest of her time supervising SENCAP. (Bella Tederman)

The Yutan Spanish program has experienced a variety of ups and downs over the past few years, including multiple teaching changes and a newly added online program. Reflecting the ups and downs of the Spanish program, proctor Megan Widmer has also experienced some changes throughout her teaching career. 

Originally, Widmer wasn’t even an education major, she was a physics major. But after teaching some adult English learners, she felt inspired.

“I did some volunteer work on the side. I would help adult English learners learn English, and I enjoyed that. And so I decided to switch my major to education. And so I got two endorsements, Spanish and ESL,” said Widmer.

After getting her endorsement, Widmer taught at an Omaha middle school for several years. However, Widmer said she has some “health issues,” which added to the stress of teaching middle school. Widmer has vestibular migraines, which cause light sensitivity for her and were very difficult to have and teach.

Widmer said she almost quit being a teacher altogether before coming to Yutan due to these issues.

“I thought I was going to be getting out of education completely. But then a couple of weeks before school started, I saw in a Facebook group, somebody posted the Yutan open jobs,” said Widmer.

Because Widmer’s health issues were 80 to 90 percent better than what they were before and because the position was for proctor, Widmer decided to apply.

“I saw Spanish Proctor and I thought that would be a job where I could still use my skill set but in a less stressful way. So that’s what brought me to Yutan,” said Widmer.

Despite her previous health issues, Widmer still manages to make a positive impact on students and teachers alike. As a proctor, even though she only gets to spend half the period with her students as the other half is with the online lecture teacher, she finds ways to incorporate her unique teaching styles to impact the students.

“I try to add more activities during my half of the class that are more interactive and get the students to engage with each other during the second half of the class,” said Widmer.

Freshman Emmy Tederman, who is taking Spanish 1, said that “Spanish this year is very different than last year.” 

I want my students to develop a passion for learning. I want people to be able to work with people that you don’t necessarily, you know, love but still be able to get along and value differences.

— Megan Widmer

Even though spending half the class with an online lecture teacher isn’t always her favorite, “Mrs. Widmer makes learning Spanish fun and interesting,” Tederman said. 

Not only is Widmer helping add engagement to the online Spanish classes, but she also helps her fellow teachers with their daily tasks. 

“She has some time on her hands for the classes where she is not instructing but supervising to let us teachers know if we need help with copies or laminating or grading or sorting that she is available and willing to help. So that was just so kind of her to do right away from the beginning of the year,” said science teacher Leslie Heise.

Even though Widmer has more time on her hands as a proctor, she strives to leave the students with what she believes is most valuable for them to learn aside from the actual content.

“I want my students to develop a passion for learning,” said Widmer. “I want people to be able to work with people that you don’t necessarily, you know, love but still be able to get along and value differences.”