Review – “1989”

Swift’s new re-release brings back her old pop vibes
Taylor Swift poses for her new album cover. This is her fourth re-recorded album.

As many of us know, Taylor Swift has been making many different headlines lately. Recently the pop star just came out with her new re-released album “1989.” This was the album that made me start listening to Swift when it first came out in October 2014, so when I first saw on Instagram that she was re-releasing this album, I was very excited to see what she had in store.

Swift started re-recording her albums after her management sold all of her albums to Scooter Braun in 2019. His holding company, Ithaca, acquired Scott Borchetta’s Big Machine Label Group, the studio that produced Taylor Swift’s albums up until 2019’s “Lover.” That same year, Swift announced that she was planning on re-recording all of her albums that were wrongfully sold from her. She came out with the first re-recorded album in April of 2021.

“1989” is the fourth album that Swift has re-released over the last three years. This is the album in my opinion that made Swift the pop star she is today. Some of these songs that she made in 2014 are still some of the most popular songs on the radio today. She had short hair in this album and was very upbeat and funky. So when she re-released this album, she styled her hair so it was short like in the original album and had some new pop songs. Some of the new songs on this album that weren’t previously released have more of her funky pop vibes in my opinion, which is something that I personally enjoyed, and was happy that she had some of her old pop vibes back.

Jade Lewis

My first reaction to this album was the way she changed the beat of each song and how far her voice has come. Swift has such a powerful voice that it makes listening to her music so easy to sing and dance to. For some of Swift’s albums, she will have breakup songs about the guy she dated or songs about getting revenge on someone. On this album we have some breakup songs but also songs that girls can relate to or that we can just dance to.

The first song that has always been my favorite Taylor Swift song of all time is “Shake it Off.” This song has been one of Swift’s most famous songs over the years. This song represents her shaking off all the press and negativity that can surround her life. I love this song because it was the song that helped me fall in love with Swift. I remember seven-year-old me coming up with a dance to this song and dancing all around my house to it. As I first listened to the new version, I noticed how much her voice has matured over the last few years, and I think this has changed the way she creates new music for each new album, making each album better than the previous one.

Another song on the album that was previously released was “Bad Blood” featuring Kendrick Lamar. This was one of my favorite songs that was previously on the album. I personally loved this song the first time I heard it. It’s one of my favorite hype songs to listen to before basketball games and lifting. This song was and is one of my favorite songs that is on this album, and I’m happy that she had Kendrick come back and re-record his parts in the song.

Taylor Swift performs at Sofi Stadium in California. Swift announced the re-release of “1989” on October 27th.

Swift also included some new tracks on this re-release. One of my new favorite songs is “Now That We Don’t Talk.” This song is rumored to be about her ex-boyfriend Harry Styles. Even though this song is more of a break-up song, it is definitely one of my favorite songs that is now on this album. I love the beat of it and how the lyrics all flow together perfectly. One of my favorite lines in the song is, “I called my mom to get it off my chest.” These lyrics relate to me so much because I always talk to my mom about many things in my life. So these lyrics hit home, and I think they can relate to many other girls also.

Another song that was new to this album was “Is It Over Now?” This song at the start gives me the same vibes as the start of one of her most famous songs “Out of the Woods.” This song is also speculated to be about her ex-boyfriend Harry Styles. However, this song has some very catchy lines that I love to sing along with, such as “Think I didn’t see you, there were flashing lights.” These lyrics are now one of the most used sounds on social media currently, and you can see this sound all over TikTok and Instagram. Fans have even made their own dance to this song, so this is one of her most famous songs on this album.

Overall, this is easily my favorite Taylor Swift album for many reasons: it’s relatable to many girls, her voice has matured so much and she just makes great music that anyone can listen to. Some people might not be big fans of this album since some of the new songs are more girly and about breakups, but I do recommend this album to anyone because Swift is such a good songwriter and singer. She is changing the music industry with each album she produces and deserves every positive headline that she has been a part of.