Baseball team sets high goals going into new season

Senior Braxton Wentworth charges after a ground ball during the state game last season. Wentworth has been starting shortstop since his junior year.

Making a run in the state tournament last year and setting team and personal goals for this year, the Platte Valley baseball team has high expectations for this spring season.

“First and foremost, we say ‘win every pitch.’ That is the most important goal each year. Then we talk about the ‘big 3.’ Conference Championship, District Championship, and State Championship,” said head coach Shawn Emanuel.

To hit these goals, the team started their work in the off-season.

“This whole offseason during basketball, the guys got together and we’ve been throwing, trying to get in three times a week, and then throwing bullpens and live at-bats to prepare for this year,” said senior Braxton Wentworth.

Part of the motivation for this off-season work is trying to improve on last year’s performance.

“Last year making it to state was awesome, but the losing part of it hurt, so that’s not the plan this year, and we plan on winning a couple more games in the tournament,” said senior Caleb Daniell.

Even the new players on the team this year have high goals for themselves.

“My major goal this year is to make varsity and then of course make it back to state and somehow contribute to the team in some aspect,” said freshman Carson Hollst.

Senior Caleb Daniel catches the ball after a pick-off in the state tournament game last year. Daniel had a batting average of 0.212 last year.

The team doesn’t just care about their performance, however, as a major part of each year is to make sure each player feels connected to the team, since the team is a co-op between three schools.

“Having three schools involved is tricky, but I love getting to know players from three different schools. We have nicknamed ourselves the ‘PV Boys’ so players do not see themselves as Ashland players or Yutan players,” said Emanuel

As for the players, they notice this and feel the connection throughout the entire season.

“Coach is really good with us, and on bus rides he has us ride with different kids so we can all interact with each other. He just does a good job making sure everyone feels included and welcomed,” said Daniell.

As they connect together as a team, the players are excited to work toward their end goal of state.

“This is my last time playing baseball and playing it with the ‘PV Boys,’ so it would mean a lot to me to make it back to the state tournament and win a couple games and win the state championship,” said Wentworth.