Following the call of duty

Beutler aims to join the Marines
Image found in Marine corps official website.

For students graduating high school, there are many options as to where to go or what to do after high school concludes.  Some students will choose to take a gap year, still others will attend college or get a job, yet another option for students is taking on the honorable task of joining the military. Senior Cole Beutler is one of those students choosing the path of joining the military.

“Ever since I was a little kid, I have always thought the military sounded really cool. And I guess in past years I’ve always stuck to it and decided that that is what I want to do,” Beutler said.

There are many reasons as to why an individual chooses to serve our country. For Beutler, the influence to serve the country came from familial connections.

“I really wanted to join the military because both of my grandpas were in the military. One grandpa was in the Army in Vietnam, and the other was a part of the military peace corps in Berlin in 1977 to 1980. I wanted to follow in their footsteps,” Beutler said.

Not only did Beutler’s grandpas influence his decision to join the military but also which branch.

“One of my grandpas who was in Vietnam always just told me about how, if I go to the Army, I’m gonna lose an arm like him. He always made a joke out of it. But then he said he thinks I should go to the Marines just because it’s cooler, basically, and more respected type of thing,” Beutler said.

Once in the Marines, Beutler is open to different jobs. However, there is a specific job he would prefer to do. He also believes that this will help him improve on other skills.

I feel like the military challenges those who join to be the best version of themselves possible. I want to become a stronger all-around person through my military experiences.

— Cole Beutler

“I think I am going to try to either end up in artillery or machine gun,” Beutler said. “I think this will help me to be an all-around stronger person, physically and mentally.”

One of the things Beutler is most excited about when he joins is being able to get to know so many new people.

“I am most excited about meeting new people. Also because the people there will be from different backgrounds and have different experiences, it will be fun to get to know everybody,” Beutler said.

Beutler also anticipates challenges in the military path he chooses.

“I think the most challenging part for me about joining the Marines will be the whole kind of leaving-everyone-behind thing. I feel like leaving people that I know and being around people I don’t will be challenging. Also, the extreme training and all will be challenging,” said Beutler. 

Before he enlists, Beutler plans to take a “gap year” of sorts.

“I’m thinking I’m gonna take a year off and help my mom with work at the vegetable stand that I currently work at, and then after that, I’ll probably go to the Marines before school starts up next year,” Beutler said.

Even though Beutler has some time yet before he goes to the military, he is excited and anticipates the challenge.

“I feel like the military challenges those who join to be the best version of themselves possible. I want to become a stronger all-around person through my military experiences,” Beutler said.