Big business

FBLA team experiences success at State Leadership Conference

Taking tests, giving presentations and dressing up might not sound like a fun way to spend three days. But for some Yutan students, the Future Business Leaders of America State Leadership Conference is one of their favorite high school memories.

FBLA SLC is different from other activities because it is more like real life on a professional level,“ sophomore Delaney Shield said. “You have the opportunity to meet new people. Unlike most high school sports, you have the opportunity to talk to people from other schools and get to see what all they have done for their FBLA.”

Along with networking with other chapters, selected students are given the chance to compete at the national level. These students must place in the top three in their corresponding events in order to qualify for NLC, which was the goal for a few of the Yutan members.

“I was hoping to do well and qualify for nationals again this year, even though I haven’t gone before,” senior Bella Tederman said.

As for others, their goal for SLC was to do their best and hopefully end up on stage.

Senior Zach Kennedy receives his certificate after placing sixth in Accounting II. Kennedy was the chapter’s vice president. (Haley Kube)

This was the first year I attended, and I had heard that SLC was very fun from people that had previously experienced it,” senior Zach Kennedy said. “I had high hopes going into SLC. I thought I was in categories that I could compete at a high level in and hopefully medal in.”

Fortunately for the Yutan chapter, many of their goals became a reality as six of their members ended up on stage, including two who qualified for nationals in Orlando, FL. 

“Two of our seniors, Bella and Bryce (Kolc), qualified for nationals this year,” FBLA sponsor Clay Carlton said. “Bella placed first in both Business Communications and Supply Chain Management and then Bryce qualified in Computer Problem Solving.”

Alongside those who qualified, Kennedy, Shield and sophomores Adie Gale and Addi Smith also placed in their respective events. 

“It was really cool to be able to go for my first time and place out of all the kids that were there,” Kennedy said. 

Unfortunately, due to the high traveling costs and small number of students qualifying, attending nationals isn’t an option. However, the students still see this year’s conference as a success.

Senior Bryce Kolc accepts his trophy after placing second in Networking Infrastructures. This was the first time Kolc competed in the event. (Haley Kube)

I was hoping to go to the SLC to have fun and do better than I did last year,” Kolc said. “I and a lot of the other people did do better, and if not, they got a good experience from attending.”

With their accomplishments and experience, Yutan’s FBLA chapter looks to keep growing in numbers at SLC and as an activity despite many of their officers and members graduating.

“[The seniors] restarted the program. It wasn’t even really a thing at Yutan until we decided we wanted to do it,” Tederman said. “I hope as we are leaving that the younger classes keep it going and build off of what we started.”

And so, as the seniors get ready to use what they have learned in the real world, the upcoming members plan to follow in their footsteps of recruiting and sharing all that FBLA and SLC have to offer.

“My advice would be to go at least once to the SLC throughout your high school career,” Shield said. “FBLA has helped me in the real world by helping me to conduct myself in a professional manner with my attire and my actions. It has given me the opportunity to help serve my community as well.”