Vanness strives to grow media program

Technology teacher Hunter Vanness helps senior Jack Edwards with his Striv work. Besides Striv, Vanness teaches Computer Science, Media Production, JH Keyboarding, Marketing Management and Digital Media. (Halle Arlt)

From graduating with a class of twenty-three seniors to teaching at a school with over two thousand students, Yutan High School’s new technology teacher Hunter Vanness is excited to be back in a small school.  

I’m in Yutan and in my sixth year of teaching, so I’ve seen small schools, I’ve seen some big schools and I’m happy to be in a smaller school,” Vanness said. 

Vanness grew up in Wausa, Neb., a town of just under six hundred people, and that’s where he was first inspired to become an educator.

“I had some really good teachers in high school that motivated me to want to become a teacher,” Vanness said.

Vanness attended college at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln and completed his student teaching at Lincoln High. Vanness then taught at Neligh-Oakdale High School for one year and at Omaha Burke High School for four years. 

Teaching at these schools, Vanness learned how to build a program that students would enjoy. 

“I learned a lot my first year. Some of those highlights were building a new program. That was the first time they ever had a technology program. So it’s kind of like what we have here, but it was the very beginning and we were starting from scratch,” Vanness said. 

As he starts his time at Yutan, Vanness has several goals for his classroom.

“I’d like to continue to grow our media program that we’ve started to develop a little bit and see where we can get that by the end of the year. So those are things that are motivating me right now,” Vanness said. 

Some of the specific activities Vanness’s students have been doing within the media program are making hype videos, recording games and highlighting their graphics on Twitter.

“I’d definitely say I have project-based learning. Having kids do hands-on work is one of my biggest strengths in teaching,”  Vanness said. 

Having kids do hands-on work is one of my biggest strengths in teaching.

— Hunter Vanness

Besides continuing to develop the program, another of Vanness’s goals is to get to know the students and staff by connecting with them both in and outside of the classroom.

“I think one way to connect with students is going to after-school activities and, you know, connecting with them outside of the classroom to have them see that you’re there and just supporting students, that’s a big thing,” Vanness said.

Vanness is also connecting with students in the classroom through his preparation and energy.

“So having a backup plan and just being prepared with all my lessons is big, but also being passionate about it too. I think that goes a long way, and for students it is just seeing that you’re passionate about the topic that you’re teaching,” Vanness said. 

Some of Vanness’s students have noticed his passion for teaching, which shows through his teaching style. 

“It’s a more modern teaching style. It’s really fun to be in his classroom and he makes us all engaged and it’s fun to learn,” said freshman Eli Kult, who is taking Computer Science and Striv Broadcasting. 

Another of Vanness’s students, junior Jade Lewis, who is currently in Video Production, Lewis appreciates how Vanness has helped her during her first year in the class.

“I’d say he’s very helpful, and he’s also positive and uplifting. He’s not hurtful about if you’re really bad at something,” Lewis said. 

Seeing students enjoy his class is one of Vanness’s favorite parts of being a teacher.

“At the end of every year, my favorite part is having those students realize, I didn’t hate you too much as a teacher, I kind of enjoyed your class a little bit,” Vanness said.