The Student News Site of Yutan High School

Chieftain Times

Chieftain Times

Chieftain Times

Kult competes in Disney Duals

Senior Jesse Kult prepares to begin his wrestling match against his opponent on the last day. The tournament lasted three days. (Courtesy Photo)

While many student-athletes use their summer as a time for rest, senior Jesse Kult used the last summer of his high school years as an opportunity to train and compete at a different level.
This summer, Kult earned an All-American wrestling status while competing in the AAU (Amature Athletic Union), Disney Duals, in Orlando, FL.
“I went down to Florida and competed at the AAU Disney Duals with a group of guys,” Kult said. “It was a week-long tournament. The first three days were for fun and the second three we competed. For it being my first time, I really enjoyed being a part of it.”
Kult was asked to compete after placing at another AAU tournament.
“I placed at a tournament called AAU State,” Kult said. “I was then asked to compete at the duals in Florida.”
As it was Kult’s first time at the tournament, he had the opportunity to compete in an environment that not many athletes get to experience throughout their high school career.
“I loved the environment and the competitiveness it brought,” Kult said.
Along with the positive environment, Kult enjoyed making new friends along the way.

Senior Jesse Kult (left) and his AAU teammates pose for a picture at the Disney Duals in Orlando, FL. Kult enjoyed hanging out with his team throughout the week. (Courtesy Photo)

“My team was fun, and I had a lot of fun with them,” said Kult.
Although there were many positive factors, Kult also faced challenges that caused a lack of confidence going into his first match.
“I got wrecked in my first match,” said Kult. “I had to be mentally tough throughout the whole tournament, which is a difficult thing to do.”
Despite the rough start, Kult adjusted to the new environment and went 9-1 at the tournament.
“I thought I did pretty well for the amount of competition there,” said Kult.
With his success at the tournament, he left feeling accomplished and wanting to experience it all again.
“I would definitely do it again,” Kult said. “There was a lot of good competition, and I met a lot of cool people.”