Hays commits to College of Saint Mary to continue softball career

Many high school athletes have to decide whether or not they want to continue their lifelong sport throughout college. One senior, Maycee Hays, has already made this decision to continue her softball career at the College of Saint Mary, making her the first of her classmates to commit.

Senior Maycee Hays officially signs to College of Saint Mary to continue her academic and softball career. Hays will major in nursing. (Courtesy Photo)

While this decision can be tough, Hays was already set on taking her sport to the next level.

“The process was pretty easy for me,” said Hays. “I’ve grown up playing softball all my life, so I’ve known for years that I wanted to play somewhere in college, I just didn’t know where.”

While the decision to play softball in college was set, Hays had to make a choice on which school she wanted to attend.

“I chose College of Saint Mary because it offered a really good nursing program for me to study,” Hays said. “It also had softball, which I wanted to do.”

Hays didn’t have to decide on her own, though.

“My dad really influenced me to go there,” said Hays. “The day we visited, immediately after, he was like, ‘I can see you going there and I think that would fit your personality.’ From the start, he knew that I would end up going there, which was very helpful.”

Even though he might have had a preference, the goal for Hays’ dad was to just be supportive.

“We have supported Maycee with whatever decision she wanted to make,” said Kelly Hays. “We put down the pros and cons of different schools but just knowing we were behind her no matter what.”

Not only did Hays’ dad influence her college choice, but he has also supported her throughout her softball career.

Hays dives for the third out in the 2022 championship game. Hays caught 33 of the 37 games throughout the 2022 season and will be playing that position at CSM. (Ginger Eikemier)

“My dad has mainly been my biggest supporter,” Hays said. “Since day one, he’s always taken me to the fields, practiced with me, taken me to all my games and been to all my games. He’s always been my number one supporter.”

While the decision to commit was relatively easy, the process of playing next year will not be without challenges.

“The most difficult part is going to be maintaining school along with softball,” Hays said. “I’m not super worried about it because the coaches know that a lot of us are going through nursing school and it’s not easy. They’re really understanding and flexible with what our schedule will look like.”

Part of what will help her get through these challenges will be her new teammates, two of which she played with in the past, Shaylynn Campbell and Ella Watts.

“I’m so excited to have Maycee join our team next year. With our starting catcher graduating, Maycee will be a perfect fit into the team,” said Campbell. “Along with that, all of us are super close, so when Maycee gets here she’ll fit right in.”

Hays is also excited to play with her teammates at the next level.

“I’m so excited to play softball at CSM,” Hays said. “Two of my past teammates play there, and I also know many of the other girls that are already on the team, so the connections that I have already made make me even more excited to play.”