To trick-or-treat or not?

Yutan students share different ideas of Halloween fun

Sophomore Jade Lewis stands with her brother Jaxon in their Halloween costumes. Lewis is one of many sophomores who went trick-or-treating with their younger siblings this year. (Courtesy Photo)

Trick-or-treating is a Halloween tradition for most. Wearing scary or silly costumes and walking up to houses for candy is a staple in most people’s childhood. Inevitably, however, students grow out of trick-or-treating because they feel too old for it. 

“I would rather hang out with friends,” senior Jude Elgert said. “I don’t like walking around for candy that I could get for a dollar at Dollar General.”

Junior Nathan Rupp would also rather spend time with friends, but not because of the long walk. Rupp feels like Halloween is more targeted toward the younger generations.

“I see it as more of a thing for younger kids,” Rupp said. “You just grow out of it.”

“I would rather do something else because I’m a 17-year-old,” senior Zoie Nielsen said. 

Nielsen recognizes the simplicity of trick-or-treating but would still go to a party.

“It’s probably easier to trick-or-treat, but I’d rather go to a party.”

Although some view trick-or-treating as a kids’ activity, there are those teens that still enjoy trick-or-treating. Senior Brett Martin thinks it’s easier to trick-or-treat than to prepare for a party. 

“Trick-or-treating is simpler because you just do a lot of walking,” Martin said. “ For parties, you have to pay for stuff like cupcakes, cookies and stuff like that.”

Junior Ethan Eggen is another student who would rather trick or treat.

“I’d rather walk around,” Eggen said. “ At different houses you can get candy and sometimes free food.”

Even though Eggen prefers trick or treating, Halloween parties are not out of the picture. 

“Trick-or-treating is fun up until a certain point,” Eggen said. “Once it gets late, no one gives out candy anymore, and that’s the perfect time to go to a party.”