Petersen uses internship to find his desired career

This year, Yutan High School added an internship program for seniors to be able to get more experience in the workforce. The students in the program go out on two six-week cycles of interning in the field they are interested in.

Senior Sam Petersen is one of the students who is taking part in the internship program and is exploring the physical therapy field.  

“It gives us a chance to get out into the real world and see if we are really as interested in something that we thought we were,” said Petersen.

Petersen said he decided to take part in the program because he didn’t know what he wanted to do after high school.

It gives us a chance to get out into the real world and see if we are really as interested in something that we thought we were

— Sam Petersen

“Being in this program will also give me advantages when I go out to get that job,” Petersen said.  “I can say I have plenty of experience because of this class that could help me further receive the job I am going for.”

Petersen is currently interning at Makovicka Physical Therapy in Yutan and in Valley. He chose to intern under a physical therapist because he likes to help people be able to get to their max potential.

“Recovery processes can be a long journey for some, and I want to be the one to shorten that up as much as possible,” Petersen said.

While he is interning, Petersen observes the PTAs or the PT.  He gets to help out in some exercises, but most exercises are “on your own” exercises.  It is hard to do a lot when there, but he does the most he can.

Petersen is still “kind of in the air” about being a physical therapist because there are many options.

Petersen said he would recommend future seniors to join the program.

“If you don’t know what you want to do when you get older, it gives you a chance to get out and see,” Petersen said.