Senior follows father’s footsteps in future career

Senior Isaiah Daniell assists a second-grader with her reading assignment.  Daniell spends the last three class periods of every day at Yutan Elementary for his internship.

Senior Isaiah Daniell assists a second-grader with her reading assignment. Daniell spends the last three class periods of every day at Yutan Elementary for his internship.

With high school coming to an end for many seniors at Yutan, finding the right path to take is always a hard decision to make. For senior Isaiah Daniell, his path is slowly coming together with experiences from his internship in special education.

“In my future, I really want to coach at the high school level, and so the easiest thing with that is to teach alongside it,” Daniell said.

Not only is teaching a natural fit with coaching, but it is also a skill that Daniell happens to be good at.

“Isaiah is a natural when it comes to interacting with students,” special education teacher Paula Elgert, who Daniell is interning under, said.  “His patience and demeanor lend themselves to the profession of education.”

Daniell’s choice was also influenced by his father. His dad is a special education teacher and administrator, which made it a natural choice for him.

“The stories that my dad tells me when he gets home made me think like, yeah, that sounds kind of fun,” Daniell said.

With college sneaking around the corner, Daniell takes as many opportunities as he can in his internship to experience what the routine of a teacher truly is.

“What I’ve mainly done is I’ve helped with fourth through sixth graders,” Daniell said. “It’s been a lot of fun watching the teachers teach and being there to help the kids.”

Elgert sees many positives in Daniell that will help him go far in his career choice.

“He is flexible and easygoing.  Being able to adapt the learning environment to meet the needs of the students is essential,” Elgert said. “I see Isaiah as someone who is adaptable and empathetic, which are two important character traits of a special education teacher.”